For cosmetic fillings, a composite white filling is utilized. It is a synthetic combination of acrylic resin and glass which has a white color therefor enabling it to match the color of the tooth. This is chosen for aesthetic reasons. Many people prefer to have fillings which match the rest of their teeth rather than the distinctive silver filling.
With dental bonding, a tooth-colored resin material (a durable plastic material) is applied and hardened with a special light. This ultimately “bonds” the material to the tooth to restore or improve your smile.
Dental bonding –
an option that can be considered for the following reasons:
- repair decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities)
- repair chipped or cracked teeth
- will help improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- spaces between teeth can be closed
- making teeth look longer
- shape of teeth can be changed
- as a cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings